Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Guest Design Team at Country View Crafts Challenge ...



Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  I am in the fortunate position to have two posts going live today. 
I won the Country View Crafts Challenge random link, December 2015, and I was contacted by the lovely and very talented Alison who asked if I wanted to be a Guest Design Team Member, March, and I jumped at the chance.  When I found out the topic I very nearly backed out there and then because I was terrified!  As I sat and thought about it I realised that I am too stubborn to back out.  I’ve been experimenting with different looks, styles and themes over the past thirteen months and I decided that I really needed to stretch myself so here is my new piece …

  
I let the messy out

 
A final look 

Luckily I am also able to enter these challenges 
Colouring Crazy Challenge #6 spring greens

Emerald Creek Dares Bring on the Green Update: I am very very chuffed!
  TOP 3!!!

Frilly & Funkie Challenge Layer it Up 
Mixed Media World Challenge #11 Love is in the Air:
I’ve fallen in love with mixed media projects and supplies and 
I love what I can create using MM supplies
Sandee & Amelie’s Steampunk Challenge Mixed Media Industrial or Steampunk
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge Take a Leap into the Unknown
My Leap was to create something Industrial which looked Industrial
I let the inky, mucky and grungy woman out to play and it’s something
 I am still learning about and I am learning to love and embrace it
Stamps & Stencils Challenge Splatter, Spritz & Smoosh
That’s Crafty Challenge Circle It
I used the circles from inside the chipboard cogs & 
added stamped and embossed circles too


I then had the ludicrous idea that I could create a distressed mixed media hanging and I knew then that it was not going to be easy.  I worked on this project for a whole month because I wasn’t one hundred per cent sure of how the inks and paints were going to react.  I have learnt so much more from this one project than I learnt from any of last years mixed media projects.  I learnt about the importance of layering, the patience that I need to allow something to dry naturally when necessary, the importance of adding and removing ink or paint, that I work with both inks and paints, and I don’t always have to have the right ‘stuff’ to create something, and I learnt that it’s good for me to be scared to create out of my usual comfort zone too lol! 


I will be back later to link to some challenges but this was going live so early that I figured I would just get my post ready and I can add challenges later today.  Also if anyone would like a step by step tutorial so that you too can try just yell and I will do it.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x








Tools
Stamp:
Tim Holtz CMS213 Perspective stamp set
Craft Stamper magazine: free Steampunk watch stamp (I chopped off a couple of parts)
Stencil:
Stamplorations Stamps stencil: Foiled
Miscellaneous Tools:
Heat tool; paintbrushes; pot of water

Supplies
Card Paper:
Chipboard cut to size; Crafter’s Companion Sheena Douglass Card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Tim Holtz Distress Paint Dabbers: Broken China; Salty Ocean; Peacock Feathers; Weathered Wood
Tim Holtz Distress stains: Brushed Pewter; Peeled Paint; Scattered Straw
Tim Holtz Crackle Paint: Rock Candy
Ranger Perfect Pearls: Heirloom Gold
Pebeo acrylic paint: white; gold
The Works: white gesso; Gold EP #
Embellishments:
Tando Creative: chipboard Cogs grab bag
Adhesives/Mediums:
Versamark IP; Pebeo Matt Medium; Collall all purpose glue; Washi tape; Black glass painting out liner #

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 9 years old

18 comments:

Pamellia Johnson said...

Gorgeous piece Karen! I love the metallic accents, fabulous industrial feel! Congrats on your DT, well deserved! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Layer It Up' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

Cec said...

Great mixed media piece. Love the colour palette and the great sentiment. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

Sue C said...

Fabulous project Karen ! Love the sentiment and the monochromatic theme. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

klistersøster said...

What a wonderful color very delight. You have achieved a fine result and great to see everything is connected. Thank you for participating in SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges.
Hugs, Susan

Pawsitively Creative said...

Isn't it fun to experiment and learn by trial and error? I sure enjoy it! I am with you on the journey. Fantabulous design and the colors you chose work so splendidly together. Love the pops of the gold and the sentiment stamp is absolutely perfect for this! Huge congrats on your GDT, look like you had fun with this one and I am so glad you didn't back out because then we wouldn't have seen this lovely creation. Awesome sauce and fantabulous! ~Niki

Pawsitively Creative said...

Oh, and thanks for joining us at SanDee&Amelies Steampunk Challenge! Hugz! ~Niki DT

Team Clark said...

Wow, Karen! This is really so cool! I love how you've treated these chipboard pieces, awesome! I so wish I could get my hands on some of them! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Stamps & Stencils. <3 Autumn

die amelie said...

Such a brilliant mixed media piece, Karen!
Love the colours and the subtle hints of rust. And the design is just beautiful! Very unique and inspiring!

Thank you for sharing your beautiful project with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

Claudia x

Sara Barker said...

Great work on this project that you were totally uncomfortable with...you would never guess your lack of confidence, because your piece is brilliant! Congrats on your GDT with CVC! They were smart to ask you, and you are awesome to follow through! Isn't it fun to just go for it? Well done! Hugs!

Maura Hibbitts said...

Loving all the greens and the gears!

Kim Evans said...

This is fantastic. The patina style of copper for all of the green was amazing and my particular favorite was the fact you could enter your piece for so many challenges. Best of luck

Zoe Hillman said...

Very cool! Love the industrial look. Thanks for joining us at Frilly & Funkie for the Layer it up challenge.

Paradise Lost said...

I love the grungy green patina you made with this project. Gorgeous!
Thank you for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares.
{julia] Emerald Creek DT

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Wow, what an awesome texture and layers, love those cogs on your canvas.
Thanks for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares

Buttons said...

Oh Karen your experimentation has definitely worked! Love this look. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Jane said...

What a great GD piece you created for the challenge over at Country View Karen,I have just hopped over to a closer peep. Super colours and textures x

Brenda Brown said...

So glad you didn't back out Karen as this is a fabulous work of art for our CVC industrial challenge, love the colours and layers you used to achieve it.
Hugs Brenda xxx

butterfly said...

Such a fantastic creation, Karen. Thank you again for being our Guest Designer this month, and sharing your journey with the theme and this wonderful hanging. So happy to hear it's inspired you to play with Mixed Media more often!
Alison x